Alvin ISD Board of Trustees Calls for November School Bond Election and Tax Ratification Election on November 6, 2018
Why is Alvin ISD having a bond election?
Alvin ISD is quite a large district, covering 252 square miles of land. Much of that land remains rural today, but the district began seeing extensive and fast-paced growth starting around the year 2000, and that challenging rate of growth continues to the present day. Enrollment in Alvin ISD has been growing at the rate of about 1200 students a year.
Residents of Alvin ISD are now being presented a request at the November general election to fund this next phase of development necessary for the district to adequately meet the continuing educational needs of the students to whom it is responsible.
What is Alvin ISD presenting in this bond election?
There are two individual votes in this election, Proposition A and Proposition B, which will work together to determine how these bond projects will be funded.
Proposition A is the request to approve issuing $480.5 million in bonds which will fund the following:
- Five new schools –
- 2 Elementary schools
- 2 Junior High Schools
- 1 High school
- Renovation/expansion to Harby Jr. High;
- Replacement schools for aging Alvin Primary and EC Mason elementary; and
- Safety and security upgrades district wide.
Proposition B is the Tax Ratification Election (TRE) which restructures the allocation of tax dollars from the debt retirement fund into the fund used for maintenance and operations.
- If Proposition B is approved by the voters, it will increase state funding to Alvin ISD by $8.4 million dollars each year, which funds will be used to help pay for Alvin ISD bond projects.
- Alvin ISD is proposing to increase by $0.13 cents the portion of your tax dollars going into the Maintenance and Operations account, but at the same time, decreasing the tax dollars going into the Interest and Sinking account by the same $0.13 cents.
The proposed Bond and TRE election will be conducted on Tuesday, November 6. Early voting begins on October 22 and will conclude on November 2.
Please visit www.alvinisdbondtre.net, where you can find more detailed information about the propositions.